Hello again! Two posts in one day, scandalous!
Okay so here’s the story: I’ve had 2 packages of Philadelphia Cream Cheese languishing in my fridge for a couple of months. I just lost any and all desire to bake! What the Hades, man, what the Hades. Anyway, the two blocks of cream cheese sat in my fridge, minus their boxes (they were casualties of something leaky and gross). And me, showcasing what genius I have, forgot to make note of their expiration date.
So they sat. And Sat.
And occasionally I’d pull them out and try to psychically glean how much longer they had, and then put them back and tell myself, “tomorrow”.
Tomorrow came today! In the guise of Irish Potato Candy, which does, actually, look like little potatoes:
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 1/2 cups flaked coconut
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- In a medium bowl, beat the butter and cream cheese together until smooth. Add the vanilla and confectioners’ sugar; beat until smooth. Using your hands if necessary, mix in the coconut. Roll into balls or potato shapes, and roll in the cinnamon. Place onto a cookie sheet and chill to set. If desired, roll potatoes in cinnamon again for darker color.
I used Johnny Depp exclusively to make this candy. In hindsight, I think next time I’ll throw the coconut into the processor to make the pieces smaller for better mouth feel. Someone on Allrecipes did suggest to refrigerate during ‘steps’ (after mixing it all together, forming into the ‘potatoes’, and then in the cinnamon) and I would recommend this as well. I also didn’t ‘roll’ the potato pieces in the cinnamon. Nah, I’m too impatient for that. Those babies went in a plastic bag, man, and I shook the stuffing out of them! Sooo much easier and cuts down on time. It’s pretty messy, though – you will get your hand coated in cinnamon.
I think I’ll eventually try them in cocoa too.
Let me know whatcha think!