So it’s been a while – about a month! I’ve been steadily saving up recipes and finally got my butt to the grocery store yesterday with a plan: Meatloaf, mashed potatoes, corn, and for dessert, Martha Stewart’s Oatmeal Bars. Lunch isn’t made yet (alright, there was a technical malfunction; the hamburger meat wasn’t taken out till this morning. Not my fault tho! S’what I get for having minions.)
I made the Oatmeal Bars last night, and couldn’t resist a bite last night. They are so good. Obscenely sweet, so make sure you cut them into small pieces. A little definitely goes a long way.
Oatmeal Bars – Martha Stewart
Makes 1 dozen
- Vegetable-oil cooking spray
- 48 soft caramel-candy cubes
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 10 ounces (2 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9-by-13- inch baking pan with cooking spray. Line with a 9-by-21-inch sheet of parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang on each short side. Put caramels and cream in a small saucepan; cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until caramels are melted, about 5 minutes. Let cool.
- Stir together oats, flour, brown sugar, baking soda, and the salt in a large bowl. Blend in butter with a fork or your fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal; press half of mixture onto bottom of lined pan. Bake until just set and starting to color around edges, about 20 minutes. Let cool in pan on a wire rack 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle crust with chocolate chips; drizzle with caramel mixture. Top with remaining crumb mixture. Bake until pale golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool completely in pan before cutting into squares.